Monday, April 29, 2013

Peak Week

I have somehow managed to fall behind on my weekly training updates, but for good reason.  I have been training!  

Last Monday began the biggest week of training for this training cycle and it started with a bang, one that had nothing to do with IMTX.  Monday found me in a dental chair dealing with pain and fear of the unknown that I had been trying to ignore until after the race.  

I had started noticing that after each workout, the pain in my last molar would increase greatly to the point where I could do nothing except go to sleep and pray it would stop by the time I woke up again.  

The doc said I needed a root canal and a crown, maybe two.  He figured I would get into the endodontist in a week or so, and then we would proceed from there. As luck would have it, the endo had an opening the very next morning at 7:45.  Lucky me!

I went on home and got my workouts in for the day and prepared myself mentally for the root canal and the probably loss of a solid week of training.

Tuesday morning came with the sun and I sailed through the root canal.  The doc was amazing and numbed me up enough that I was able to put in another solid day of workouts before the medication wore off.

Wednesday, I was back in the dental chair for the temporary crown placement.  Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the tooth adjacent to the problem molar had an ill-fitting crown that he felt should be replaced.  I agree to having both crowns done and when the bad crown was removed, 3 cavities were discovered.  Guess it really was an ill-fitting crown.  3 hours of drilling and filling, fitting, and molding were completed and again, I was numb enough to get solid workouts in.

Thursday was our last co-op day which I spent teaching and monitoring my pain level which was surprisingly low.  I was a bit tender, but nothing a few Advil didn't take care of.    I went ahead with my long run of 18 miles that evening and felt great.

Friday was a nice evening spin and short run.  Saturday I was able to do the open water swim in Lake Woodlands with a 40 mile bike ride and 2 mile run.  I really felt great.

Sunday was supposed to be a rest day, but I felt great and ended up going to a spin class.  

All in all, I am very pleased with how I am feeling coming off of the biggest week of training.  I am so thankful that I have not had any injuries and my fatigue is manageable.  I know beyond all doubt that Tailwind Nutrition is a perfect fit for me now.  With all of the dental work I had done, eating solid food was difficult.  Drinking Tailwind throughout the day and in each workout helped keep my calorie intake up and therefore I was able to get through each one, each recovery, with enough energy to prepare for the next one as well as take care of a very busy household.  Thank you, Tailwind!!

Weekly Recap
Apr 22th- Apr 28th

 
Swim: 4 miles in 3 hours (swam ows in wet suit)
Bike:   126 in 6 hours
Run:    29 miles in 4:58 hous
Cross:  30 mins (yoga, planks, ab work)

Total Time:  15:00  Total Miles:  161



1 comment:

  1. Every Ironman training plan has to have something go wrong. Hopefully, that is now out of the way. As far as race training goes, you're ready--you just need to get to the start line healthy.

    ReplyDelete