Saturday, June 11, 2011

RTW 5K PR


Ran the RTW this morning. An unusual event for me as I don't seem to ever feel like I can afford to miss the distance runs when training for the longer races.

I needed to give this a go since it has been 3 years since my last real effort at one with 26:30 being my PR.

Today was a nice Texas summer morning. Humidity, heat, and sunshine accompanied us on the course today. The dappled sunlight on the tree-covered pathways makes this 5K a nice little run.

Best part of the morning was having Fish with me, being watched over by Hannah. She is a good dog who in days gone by would have loved to have run the 3 miles with me. Her hips are 11 now, and that just isn't in her ability anymore without a lot of pain for her. I can see in her eyes that she misses it, but she was happy just to be there. Fish was inspired by watching the runners, young and old, cross that finish line! He mentioned that he might want to start running. My dilemma? How to encourage without pushing...

Second best part was seeing Ken gladly present his grandchildren with their "prizes" for beating their grandpa in a 5K. I believe the children were 7 and 9 years old, and came in at 34 mins. Ken was very excited to pay out those 100.00 awards, but probably not as excited as the kids were in receiving them!

I was a little short of my goal time, 25:00, coming in at 25:12, but overall fairly pleased with my results considering I have done little to no speed work at all.

I have a good baseline to build from for this running season. Let's see where it takes me!

5 comments: