Thursday, June 3, 2010

Progress Continues

This is just a short post to check in and update how the training is going.  I was able to hit 50 miles last week which was very exciting!  I am feeling very strong and fairly well acclimated to the heat.  I suppose time will tell after this weekend with expected temps to reach close to 100.  I have an 18 miler on the schedule for the weekend.  This distance and the expected temps will be a true test of my running endurance.

The Vega is continuing to provide me with the ability to recover from runs much quicker and this, I believe, could be the answer to a more successful training season.

I enjoyed a nice run tonight of about 9.3 miles.  There was a gentle rain which helped to keep the temps down and provided a cooling mist during the entire run.  I kept my pace slow as I was running with a friend who is just beginning to acclimate herself to the summer heat as well.  The last two miles were pretty quick for me, but, strangely the 8:28 and 8:01 pace felt almost effortless though I did notice I was moving at a fast pace, well, fast for me!  Tomorrow I plan to do a longer tempo run at about an 8:30 pace.

The mileage for May was close to 120 miles.  Considering 50 of those miles were done the last week of May, and I am increasing my weekly mileage in a more consistent manner, June should show more mileage than I have ever done in a month.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow Karen, your mileage seems to climb fast. I only ran a 43 mile week training for a marathon and that took me 16 weeks to build to. I am impressed. Good luck in your training.
    -Tommy

    ReplyDelete