Thursday, February 3, 2011

Eve of Rocky 100 Eve

There's been much ado about nothing around here the last few days.  Today especially.  There is a rumor that we are going to be "hit" with a snow storm which could potentially leave 1 - 3 inches of white stuff or at the very least a pretty nasty coating of ice, but as of this moment, nearly 6 pm, there has been not even hint of a flake.  Unless you count the numerous ones combing the grocery stores for supplies, the school administrators whom have already canceled school for tomorrow or the county officials who have closed the county buildings as of 5 o'clock with no promise to open tomorrow.

This is truly silly.  Over reaction to be kind, ridiculous to be real.  I feel most sorry for those runners who have trained so hard to run Rocky Raccoon only to not be able to come because the airport is closed.  One runner is coming from Miami, to Houston, yet can't get here because of the threat of snow/ice.  Current temps in Miami are 73.  Houston 33.  No snow.  No rain.  But lots of canceled flights.

This video from Michael Berry's show puts things into a funny perspective, and since I like to laugh, I figured it would be fun to share it with you.



As far as my preparations for the race itself go, I haven't even started to pack, which is probably not a good thing, but I've been doing my best to keep myself busy so as to not obsess too much about this undertaking. I've read a lot of blogs, reports, scripture, etc., to strengthen my mind as well as my soul.

Going into Rocky, I feel as strong as I have ever felt with regards to my running. I know I have some areas that could be stronger such as my core or my upper body, but even those muscles are stronger than before. I think that I am as well prepared as I can be physically for this race. Mentally, I have been trying to prepare myself for the journey. I have envisioned how difficult it will be to run through the painful times, the cold, the stomach issues, the darkness with the creepy noises. I pray that I am prepared well enough in that realm, but I know that I can't truly be prepared for it until I go through it.

I've never run past 50 miles. I've heard it said that you can "fake it" through a 50 miler. In other words, if you've pulled a muscle, have stomach issues, or the like, you can probably gut out a 50 miler. But trying to white-knuckle a 100 miler is not an option for most of us. I know that there are elites who can do it, and more power to them. I can take pain pretty well, but I always run with the prevailing thought in the back of my mind that I am still a Mom and a Nana and I will still have to take care of my family come Monday morning. Most elites I read about don't have these things to consider. Not all, but most.

I have decided to put it all out there this weekend. I won't stop unless my pacer, an MD, tells me to or until I drop to the ground and the decision is made for me. I have been running for only 4 years and 2 of those I have been preparing to run this 100. The time is now.

I love reading Dave's blog and he has put up some very inspirational posts this week. I am adopting his attitude towards the 4th loop, Loop 4 is on notice and I will not give it the satisfaction of a win against me!

Dave is a strong man and I know many like him who can call upon much physical strength and mental preparedness to not show weakness and cross that finish line.  I am not that strong.  I am not as prepared mentally as I would like to be but only because this is a new challenge that is unfamiliar to me.  Fear of the unknown is present, but I will not allow it to rule me. 

And I will show weakness.  As much as I do not want to, I know myself well enough to know that I will.  I will try to hide it because I am prideful and as much as I hate my weakness, I know it exists.  I was meditating upon this weakness and how to not let it show when a verse came to me...

"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness".  I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.   2 Cor 12:10

This brought me such peace and why it came to me when it did, as it just popped into my mind, I can only imagine had nothing to do with my seriously lacking bible verse memory skills.  I will rest in the knowledge that He gently reminded me to remain focused on what HE will do in Huntsville this weekend.

I will get to the start line on Saturday and give it all that I have and then some.  Then I will embrace my weakness so that the power of Christ can be seen.  I am confident that He is asking me to break myself down once again so that He can rebuild me, more in His image then I was before.  And that doesn't come pain-free.

3 comments:

  1. I probably sound like a broken record now, but I'm so excited for you and your journey. Remember that no preparation is ever perfect, but bring your "compass", as I know you will and this should be an unforgettable experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your passion for the Rocky 100 makes me want to try it, even though my passions are elsewhere. Have a great race and a great adventure, I will be thinking of you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still in awe today, just like yesterday. My mind cannot process what you did. I could NEVER EVER do it. NEVER. EVER.

    ReplyDelete