Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Race Week

This week is the week I have been working towards for almost a year now.  I intend to slow down long enough to take in the sights, the sounds, the beauty, and the blessing of all that surrounds me this week.

My main goal is for the next few days is this...DNS.  Now in the racing world, that acronym stands for Did Not Start, and that is not at all what I am aiming for.  I am DNS'ing this week.  Do.  Nothing.  Stupid.

Yes, I tend to do stupid things the week or so before a big race and end up hurting myself, getting sick, losing things, etc.  So, I am adopting the DNS approach to the week and praying I get to the start in one piece.

I have had to shift my thinking whilst training from, "focus, push, focus, stretch, focus, grow," to, "relax, hold back, relax, easy, relax, you can't have all that you want right now, save it for Saturday".

It is not an easy mental shift to make, but I believe it is a necessary one and after this many weeks of effort and sacrifice, I need to execute the taper properly to attain my goal on Saturday.


1 comment: