Monday, February 27, 2012

Lent 2012

Lent is my most favorite time of the year.  It provides me the built in opportunity to reflect on what has gone well and not so well in my relationship with God and thereby my relationship with others.  This year has proven to be no different, and I feel that the Holy Spirit has called me, again, to an even deeper level of understanding than I have previously experienced.  

I can't share much more on my personal experience as of yet, as I believe that God has only begun to reveal to me what I need to learn during this season.  

Lent isn't the only time that we grow as Christians, however, the Church, in her wisdom, has provided us with a divine season to really focus on where we are and where we are going.  This should be an on-going process every day of our life, but for some reason, in the days leading up to and including the Triduum, we have the special blessing of focusing our attention upon the state of our souls.

I have been encouraging my confirmation teens to take time in the morning to be still.  To listen to God.  To put away all distractions of the world and just be.  With Him.  Listen to Him.  Give Him 60 seconds, then build to 2 minutes, then 3, 4, maybe get hard core and give Him 5.  See what can happen.  It certainly can't hurt.   They are enjoying their time with Him.  But they have to be taught how to be still.  Just as I do.  It is so easy to be Martha and yet so hard to be Mary at times.  Lent gives me the permission to be Mary.  Just for a minute.  

                                        "Be Still and Know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment