Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer has arrived

We knew it would come eventually.  And Nature has not let us down.  The heat and humidity are back and training has taken on a different direction.  The goal now is to acclimate to the weather.  Attempting big miles in this weather early in the season is not a pleasant experience, but anyone who has run through the summer before can attest to the fact that once that cool weather shows up again in the fall, all of our hard work will have paid off.

Right now, I am struggling to maintain a decent pace on my weekday runs.  I have two 8 milers, two 6 milers, and a long run scheduled for the week.  I am not hitting the 8 mile mark very successfully yet.  I hope I can acclimate quickly as I get frustrated not being able to reach my mileage goals.  I know in my head that the mileage isn't a big deal right now, but my spirit of will doesn't take, "DNF" very well.

My personal goal is to be consistently running 5 days a week.  No excuses.  Time on the feet.  Time to acclimate, pace is secondary.

Playing with nutrition will be another issue that I will be addressing this summer.  I need to find what works the most consistently.  So far coconut water is on the list as well as honey stingers, avocado, and pumpkin seeds.

Yesterday's run was full of horseflies.  They are definitely in full swarm right now.   My advice is to stay off the trail for a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment